Monday, August 18, 2008

Elvis has left the building...

Well it's been a couple of weeks since my last blog and the only thing I can think of writing about is the 31st anniversary of Elvis' passing, which occurred this past weekend. What were you doing on August 16, 1977 when you found out about his death? Most of you were probably babies or toddlers at the time, but it's one of those defining moments in your life like when JFK was shot or more recently when the World Trade Center attacks occurred. I remember standing in my parent's kitchen and making supper. I was cutting something with a knife and when the radio said he had died, I let out a big OH NO. My Dad walked into the kitchen at the same time and thought I had cut myself. When I told him what had happened he just laughed at me. I've always thought of myself as a big Elvis fan, evident by the way I decorated my home office, but I've met others over the last 31 years that are even bigger fans than I. There's a couple ladies I work with that have made an annual trip to Graceland for the last 3 or 4 years. I've been to Graceland only once. I made my family go out of the way and drive through Memphis when we drove to Orlando in 1987 or 1988. I felt it was well worth it, but not sure my family did. When I worked in the office we would have cake in January on the anniversary of this birthday and in August I would bring in my sandwich maker and make fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches for everyone. Once in a while there would be an Elvis sighting around those times and once there was an Elvis and Priscilla at Halloween.

Thank you, thank you very much...Elvis has left the building!

No comments: