Sunday, December 7, 2008

December 7th...a day that will live in infamy

While thousands lost their lives that day and that impacted hundreds of thousands people, today holds another memory of loss for me and my family.  It was three years ago today that my Dad passed away.  While sitting here reflecting on some of my fondest memories of Dad it also makes me wonder about a lot of "what ifs".  What if Dad lived longer...would he had been able to come up to see our new home?  How proud would he have been to see a granddaughter and a great-granddaughter graduate from Nursing School together?  What if Dad didn't have a stroke... would he be doing things with his great-grandchildren like he did with his grandchildren?  Would he had been up here most of the winter with his fish house sitting on our lake?  I know the answer to all of these "what ifs" is an absolute YES!  Thanks Dad for all the years we did have with you, all the things you taught us, the sacrifices you made to give us the things we had and for being my Dad.  I think of you every time I look out at our lake and feel comforted knowing that you're up there watching down on us!  

3 comments:

Nikki :) said...

That made me cry! I know Gramp would be proud of us and he probably would have pulled out some sort of joke at our grad party or tried to fool someone with his black eye kalaidescope (sp.?). :)

Sue said...

What if...we still had the black eye kalaidescope? Ya never know!!!

Grandma Bette said...

ThANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR GOOD MEMORIES WITH ME. THIS BRINGS TEARS TO ME ALSO. SINDI MADE SUNDAY A SPECIAL DAY FOR ME ALSO. lOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR CARING