Saturday, July 26, 2008

Small town living

You can't really relate if you lived in a town with over a 1000 population! I grew up in Alden, MN with a population of 742 (the last I looked at the sign into town) which is about 15 miles from the Iowa border and pretty much right in the middle of southern MN along I-90. I now live in an area in northern MN where the town's population is about the same or less. The only difference that I've found between where I grew up and where I now live is that I still have a grocery store, two gas stations, a Catholic church and a bowling alley (even if it's only 6 lanes). Plus there are a lot more bars!!! Mainly because the area emcompasses a few lakes with many bars around them. What I miss most about living in a small town is that everyone knows you. What I hate about living in a small town is that everyone knows you. As much as I like to keep to myself, I still find myself looking for the local gossip...as long as I'm not part of it. I remember when I was 18 (the legal drinking age at that time) going to Club 90 after partying at the Legion and/or the Millhouse and writing the "local happenings" for the Alden Advance. We'd always include who poured the coffee! Again you won't get that if you lived in a town over 1000.

No comments: